Thursday, August 14, 2008

World of Warcraft

Okay so today is not so serious. Today I just wanna say, "I like playing World of Warcraft!" There I said it. Does that make me a geek, a freak, a nerd or whatever? I only mention this becuase we all need an escape from the everyday grind and troubles in the world. WoW is mine.

I have 10 characters (or toons) I play ranging from level 11 to level 49. 8 are alliance, 2 are horde. I have a character for every mood I might be in. For example when I have a bad day and want to relieve frustration I play my warrior and just beat the crap out of stuff in the game. If I am feeling good, happy and helpful I play my priest and assist others.

The one thing about this damn game though is that it is addictive. I find myself spending 8 - 10 hours at a time playing, sometimes for 2 or 3 days in a row. Yeah I know - it could be considered a waste of time but I am not killing anyone and I am not drinking and driving. Which leads to another point. Violent video games do not lead to violence in life.

If anything the opposite it true. Boring, silly, non-violent video games lead to violence. When I was a kid the granddaddy of all video games was the only one - pong! After countless, mindless hours of watching that black and white screen with a square ball bouncing back and forth I wanted to go out and kill someone.

Video games are a modern escape no different than other generations escapes in the past. My grandfather used to go hunting as a child to pass the time - seriously how much more violent a passtime than that can you have unless you are Jeffrey Dahmer? He never once in his 98 years hurt or killed another person. Modern video games are just an escape from reality. Kids CAN distinguish between games and life and if they can't then the game is the least of the worries.

Wait a second - that was pretty serious stuff. I just wanted to talk about my geeky habit of playing a game. My bad!

Well, with all that I guess I have said enough. My main toon is named Ammanra on the Turalyon server so if you are also a WoW person and see me online say hi - and give me a lot of gold or I will beat the crap out of you - ooops! I mean ... so I can give you a big game hug!

No comments: